There is always a lot to do to keep the Discovery Center looking right. Thank you to Joe Devilbiss for making the new covers for the historic planters which stand outside the Discovery Center. They will protect this unique resource we have. Great job!
Today we welcomed a visit from the Bendersville Fire Company Juniors to the Discovery Center. Here they are in the fire-fighting equipment room.
These dedicated volunteers are very active in training and working as volunteer firefighters Thank you for the visit and we hope you had a good time!
On Saturday, April 11 PFHA held our annual meeting for 2017. The meeting opened with a Pledge of Allegiance in honor of Veterans’ Day.
Here is the group!
President Peter Linehan leads the business meeting.
Our speaker, Austin Grove, an alumnus of Penn State Mont Alto, recounts his experiences as a wildfire fighter in Colorado and other western states this past summer.
Entertainment, of a sort, was provided by The PFHA Players.
A detailed account of the meeting will be in our next newsletter.
Invitation to Attend
PA Forest Heritage Association Annual Meeting
Norlo Park, Chambersburg PA- Saturday, November 11, 2017
Theme: Keeping On the Right Course
The 2017 Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania Forest Heritage Association (PFHA) will provide something of interest to all of our membership. Come and join us in celebrating the present accomplishments of YOUR organization and help plan for the future.
- 8:45 Arrival/Registration – Coffee and Snacks
- 9:30 Introduction – State of the PFHA – Review of Summer at the Discovery Center
- PFHA – What the Future Holds – Sebasovich
- Presentations: “The PaFORE Program – Michael Klimko
“Colorado Wildfire” – Austin Grove
“George Wirt and the Birth of Pennsylvania Forestry – J J. Graham
- Brief Business Meeting / Election of Directors
- 12:30 Catered Lunch – Savoy Caterers of Waynesboro
- Entertainment – The PFHA Players & “Jelly Elliott and the Three Knotheads”
- Fire Lookout Association Update
- 2:00 Selection of Raffle Winners
- 2:15 Special Program
- 3:00 Adjournment – Optional Visit to Local Fire Tower
Total Fee = $25.00 includes lunch
Registration Deadline: November 1
— Cut Here and Submit with Payment ———
Please make check payable to PFHA. Mail registration form and fee to:
Jack Graham, 365 Peach Ridge Rd., Elliottsburg, PA 17024
Questions? 717-582-2235 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of Registrations _______________ X $25.00 = $ ____
___ Yes, I will bring an item for the “Chinese Auction
___ Sorry I can’t make it, but would like to contribute to meeting expenses.
Here are some scenes from the tournament.
Pennsylvania Forest Heritage Association and the
Pennsylvania Forestry Association held the 16th Annual Golf
Outing Friday, June 23, 2017. The rain-shortened event was
held at the Rich Valley Golf Course in Mechanicsburg, PA.
48 golfers in 12 foursomes participated in the event. A midafternoon
storm shortened play but all agreed it was a great
The First Foursome was Rick Klimkos, Shannon Terry, Matt
Kring and Tag Kring.
The second foursome was Shane Hoover,
Brent Will, Andy Masson and Mitch Morrill.
In third place was
the foursome of Dave Klinger, Steve Kline, Terry Felty and John
The Pot of Gold was won by Ken Brenner. Closest to the pin on
#5 was Rick Klimkos. The longest drive on #7 was Dave Klinger.
Despite the rain, the intrepid golfers tried their best to play out
but the torrential rains just would not allow play to continue.
Following the golf, dinner was served at the clubhouse where
the prizes were awarded.
Many thanks to our generous sponsors.
In what is fast becoming an annual tradition we celebrated the Smokey Bear birthday party at the Forest Heritage Discovery Center on Sunday, August 6.
Below are more pictures:
It took the efforts of many people to make this event happen:
- Bob Rudy organized the event, arranged for the donations and put on the Smokey suit.
- Ranger Brandon Black accompanied Smokey and drove him around the park.
- Charlie Meyers brought a box of plastic Smokey to distribute.
- Joe Dague volunteered at short notice to run the Forest Heritage Center.
- Peter Linehan helped out for the first part of the afternoon.
- Walmart in Chambersburg donated the beautiful cake and the six-foot sub.
- McDonald’s Delamor Enterprises donated the orange drink.
While volunteering at the Discovery Center this past weekend I noticed that the firefighter photo popup was really popular with the young visitors. It really attracted attention of almost all the children!
And who wouldn’t want to see what they look like as a wildfire fighter!
The Pennsylvania Forest Heritage Association opens the Forest Heritage Discovery Center at Caledonia State Park from Memorial Day to Labor Day weekend. We are open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and holidays. Here are the signup schedules:
Remember that more than one person can sign up for a date. If you have any questions contact me at email@example.com